In the breast clinic he provides a one stop service with imaging and biopsies if needed at the first visit.
- Symptomatic breast conditions
- Oncoplastic breast conserving surgery
- Breast reconstruction
- Family history of breast cancer
- FRCS(Gen Surg) FRCSEd
- MD BSc(Hons)
NHS or Academic Posts:
- Mr Thomson was appointed in 2003 as Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in breast surgery at West Hertfordshire NHS Trust. His practice is centred at West Hertfordshire Breast Care Unit where he is the Lead Clinician.
- He also maintains a general surgery interest and takes part in the general surgery emergency on-call rota.
- Association of Breast Surgery
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- Mr Thomson graduated in medicine from the University of Manchester. He continued general surgical training in the Home Counties, his final year including breast surgery attachments at the Royal Marsden Hospital, London and at the Christie and South Manchester Hospitals. He obtained his Certificate of Completion of Surgical Training in 2002.
- He has been awarded two research degrees, MD for breast cancer work and BSc(Hons) in Anatomy.
- In the breast clinic he provides a one stop service with imaging and biopsies if needed at the first visit. For patients needing surgery he employs the latest oncoplastic techniques for optimising cosmetic result whilst removing disease with a safe margin.
- Home and garden renovation
- Classically trained pianist
“The opportunity to combat disease and to help others coupled with a keen interest in biology and the natural world has made my chosen career highly rewarding, whilst an aptitude for the practical arts has motivated me to specialise in surgery.”